Job Title: On-Air Talent
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Produces and executes on-air radio content that is both entertaining and informative to the listening audience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plays music as specified by music director and music log.
- Writes script, contests and interview questions.
- Memorizes script, reads, or ad-libs to identify station, introduce and close shows, and announce station breaks, commercials, or public service information.
- Prepares and creates content by gathering information from media outlets, wire copy, periodicals, and by interviewing direct sources.
- Ascertains local issues and develops public affairs programming. Monitors news development with all media outlets including social media, and direct sources.
- Develops and maintains relations with newsmakers and community.
- Records interviews for news and musical guests or other public personalities and edits interviews.
- Interviews guest, and moderates panel or discussion show to inform and entertain audience.
- Answers phone lines and interviews members of listening audience who telephone musical requests. Airs contests according to the specifications of the program director.
- Plans and stages community events, including hosting and assisting at charity functions.
- Sets up equipment and attends live, in-person appearances as scheduled by the station or requested by clients and provides on location reports from site of event.
- Ability to provide play-by-play of athletic events including, but not limited to football, basketball, volleyball, and baseball is preferred as fill in but needed as regular duty.
- Provide live in-game updates of athletic contests for simultaneous coverage of events.
- Interacts with clients and station sales team while recording and producing commercial content.
- Engages on air, online within station websites, and on station social media.
- Creates documents of sports-related and news-related stories to post to station digital platforms.
- Maintains and builds a positive cooperative attitude within the station and a strong personal community involvement.
- Ensures logged commercials, promotions, station ID’s and any other programming element essential to the station’s operations are aired.
- Operates control console.
- Performs commercial production.
- Follows and enforces FCC regulations, station and company policies, including implementing station’s / state’s EAS procedures.
- Performs additional duties such as production, assisting program director or music director, operating radio transmitter or writing advertising copy.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school for mass communications with broadcasting emphasis. A minimum of two years radio station experience is preferred. A combination of education and experience is desirable.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read and interpret documents such as periodicals and news flashes. Ability to develop and write creative and/or informative scripts. Ability to speak effectively, entertainingly and clearly before large listening audiences and radio station clients.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES Ability to operate an on-air control board and remote broadcast equipment. Knowledge of multiple computer programs. Ability to use a headset. Ability to multi-task. Ability to be knowledgeable with current events and local community events. Digital experience preferred for production and on-air board operation. The ability to get along with others – specifically must be able to interact with the listening audience and clients in a professional manner. Ability to think and process information “on-the-air” is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS Valid driver’s license and state mandated auto insurance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel buttons on control board; and talk and hear with a headset. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision to read computer screens, news wire flashes, logs, promotional copy and/or scripts, and appropriate vision needed to drive as required for a valid driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The stress is usually high because of the on-air pressure of stringent deadlines and timing. The employee must be able to frequently work long hours and weekends without much prior notice. Must be able to travel locally to and from remotes and special events.
To apply: Nedved Media, PO Box 921, Mitchell, SD 57301