KMEG/KPTH in Sioux City IA has an opening for a Chief Meteorologist to lead our high-energy First Look Weather team. The successful candidate must be a strong communicator on-air, on-line and in-person. He/she will be well versed on the latest weather technology, be an accurate forecaster, able to train other meteorologists, passionate about being involved in community service projects/groups, and of course love weather. The candidate must also have a proven track record of audience engagement on social media that drives viewers to our broadcast and social platforms.
Make your mark in Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, a diversified media company dedicated to connecting people with content everywhere! We have consistently led the broadcast industry since our inception, and now Sinclair owns the largest regional sports network business and one of the largest television broadcast portfolios in the country. Also, we have affiliations with all of the major broadcast networks, our own Tennis Channel, and several multicast networks including TBD and Comet. Our content is distributed over-the-air, on multi-video providers, and through our industry-leading digital media platforms. We also recently launched a free TV streaming service called STIRR. Our success is the direct result of our extraordinary employees and management team who believe in our vision and are dedicated to ensuring a great future for our employees. We are advancing the world of Media and want YOU to join our winning team!
ABOUT THE TEAM
The life-blood of our organization is our people. We have a compelling story, a goal-oriented culture, and we take really good care of our people. How good? Here is a glimpse: great benefits, open-door policy, upward mobility and a strong desire to see you succeed. Ready to be a part of our winning team? Let’s talk.
- Creates and delivers relevant weather presentations that are easily understood by a television audience
- Assists News Director with recruiting for the weather team and developing standards
- Works with News Management to develop and execute plans for severe weather coverage
- Leads efforts to improve and upgrade weather systems and graphics including new technology
- Builds weather forecasts, produces computer graphics
- Analyzes weather data and prepares an accurate forecast
- Covers severe and breaking weather situations across all platforms
- Posts weather content to station website, social media accounts, and apps
- Strong leadership and teamwork is a must as our weather team is involved in the newsroom and the community
- Must have a positive attitude and be an ambassador for the station by making personal appearances at community events
- May occasionally have to report in the field
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology or closely related field; AMS Certification preferred
- Minimum 2 years of experience as Meteorologist in medium to large market
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Fluent with new and emerging weather graphics and technology, such as WSI
- Demonstrated experience in dynamic and engaging weather presentations
- Strong communication skills (written/oral)
- Ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines
- Applicable knowledge of multiplatform news gathering tolls and resources
- Fluent with social media platforms and social management tools, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, or be able to learn
- Ability to carry up to 40 pounds in gear and equipment
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required
- AMS and/or NWA Certified meteorologist is preferred
~Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc is proud to be and Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug-Free Workplace~
To apply for this job please visit edyy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.